I’m still playing catchup with posts – I started writing this post last night, but kept falling asleep! Yesterday’s NaBloPoMo writing prompt required some soul-searching:
What is getting in the way of you reaching for your dreams?
First I guess I should identify what some of my dreams are regarding my career goals:
* Build up my portfolio of writing samples.
* Set up my official freelance website, Office Help 4 Hire, which I’ve had for YEARS and still not finished.
* Continue to gain experience as an instructional designer and curriculum developer.
* Continue to hone my niche writing areas and related skill sets.
* Gain enough confidence to raise my rates and define terms for work, rather than always accepting the terms that clients tell me.
* Get all my blogs up and running, consistently, to establish a good reputation in the blogging world.
What is getting in the way of me reaching for these dreams and achieving these goals?
After some soul searching and honest introspection, I have to admit that two of my biggest weaknesses are poor time management and lack of self-confidence. These are compounded by some legitimate health issues, but the unfortunate results are distraction, brain fog, fatigue, inconsistency, lack of follow-through, and sometimes missed deadlines.
On particularly bad days, I really need an attitude adjustment, because I have a very difficult time finding the “want to” regarding doing the things I must do. There are days I would rather take a nap, read, sew, quilt, visit with family and friends, and socialize in my various online networks. Honestly, sometimes I just want to do *nothing* other than sit and relax, breathe, think, and reflect.
Now that I’ve identified my hindrances, bad habits, and flaws… I know I have some work to do! I’ve reached the point of being “tired of being tired” and not reaching the level of productivity I know I’m capable of accomplishing.
So there’s my confession! What about you? Do you know what’s getting in the way of you reaching your dreams and achieving your goals? Do you dare to share?