Dream Quenching or Dream Fulfilling? Option 2 Please!
Here we are at another midweek day, over halfway through January already! Today’s Ultimate Blog Challenge writing prompt was to talk about dreams, such as those we had as kids about what we wanted to do when we grew up. Or perhaps our dreams now, for the future. I actually wrote an in-depth post about this last November, so I’m going to re-publish it now, since it’s quite relevant for the topic! Would you prefer to focus on dream quenching or dream fulfilling? I’ll take the second option, please! 😉
What are your dream quenchers?
What is getting in the way of you reaching for your dreams?
It’s important, first, for us to identify our dreams. Then, to honestly evaluate what gets in our way of realizing those dreams, and finally to determine a strategy to overcome the dream quenchers or barriers to help us move forward toward fulfilling our potential.
My Lifelong Learning Dream
First, one of my primary dreams is to complete my Doctor of Education (EdD) program and officially become Dr. Banks! I am now within a couple months of realizing that dream, which has been more than a 7-year journey so far, as of November 2016. Obtaining that degree will open up new career opportunities and greater earning potential. Since my study is now underway, if all goes well, I will hopefully reach my goal by my birthday at the end of March. What a gift that would be! 🙂
My Career and Entrepreneurial Dreams
In my freelance consulting and writing :
* Continue to build up my portfolio of writing samples and educational materials.
* Continue to gain professional experience as an instructional designer, curriculum developer, and course/assessment writer.
* Continue to hone my niche writing areas and related skill sets.
* Gain enough confidence to raise my rates and define terms for work, rather than always accepting the terms that clients tell me.
* Continue to maintain writing in my two blogs consistently (this one and Words of Encouragement), to gain faithful readers and followers, and establish a good reputation in the blogging world. This includes monetizing my blogs, more consistently promoting my blogs on social media, commenting on other blogs, and replying to all of you who take the time to leave comments for me here! 🙂
In my K-Lee’s Kreations business :
* Consistently market my business, including promotion on social media.
* Create an inventory of ready-made items to complement my custom orders, under the new label, K-Lee’s Kollectibles.
My Health and Fitness Dreams
Another goal for me is to lose weight and get healthier. I have about 50 lbs. to lose, per my doctor’s recommendation. Some health issues and related medications, combined with my age and stage in life, all make this endeavor even more challenging. However, I’m “sick and tired of being sick and tired and overweight,” so I need to do this first for my own health and well-being. But I also want to be around longer for my hubby, my kids, and my grandkids. SO…my health and fitness journey is officially ON!
What is getting in the way of me
realizing these dreams and achieving these goals?
After some soul searching and honest introspection, I have to admit that two of my biggest weaknesses are poor time management and lack of self-confidence. These are compounded by some legitimate health issues, but the unfortunate results are distraction, brain fog, fatigue, inconsistency, lack of follow-through, procrastination, and sometimes missed deadlines.
On particularly bad days, I really need an attitude adjustment, because I have a very difficult time finding the “want to” regarding doing the things I must do. There are days I would rather take a nap, read, sew, quilt, visit with family and friends, and socialize in my various online networks. Honestly, sometimes I just want to do *nothing* other than sit and relax, breathe, think, and reflect.
Now that I’ve identified my hindrances, bad habits, and flaws… I know I have some work to do! I’ve reached the point of being “tired of being tired” and not reaching the level of productivity I know I’m capable of accomplishing. I know I can reach my goals and fulfill my dreams * IF * I consistently move forward, pull down strongholds, and force breakthroughs to happen–all with God’s help and by His grace!
So what about YOU?
So there’s my confession! What about you?
Do you know what’s getting in the way of you reaching your dreams and achieving your goals? Do you dare to share?