Happy 2014 – a new year and a new opportunity to blog consistently. As long as my motivation doesn’t freeze up as much as our Maine landscape is currently frozen, I anticipate greater success in 2014!
Out with the old, in with the new — I was more successful in 2013 than in previous years with blogging, but still not as consistent as I want to be. So I have once again joined the Ultimate Blog Challenge and plan to blog every day in this month of January.
I thought I would start off with a brief look back at some highlights from 2013:
- January: Hubby and I adopted a beautiful brindle hound mix puppy, Desi (short for Desiree), as our new canine companion after losing our precious 12 1/2 year-old black lab, Kita, in December 2012.
- February: Hubby celebrated his 42nd birthday, and he and I celebrated our 7th anniversary (and 10 years together).
- March: I celebrated my 55th birthday.
- April: My middle daughter celebrated her 26th birthday.
- May: I celebrated my 31st Mother’s Day – and my youngest daughter celebrated her first one!
- June: We waited for summer to arrive in Maine…never hit 80 degrees all month, and remained in the 50s at night!
- July: I successfully completed my first Ultimate Blog Challenge.
- August: Ironically, I began a blog series here on overcoming procrastination and pursuing goals – and in a case of life being stranger than fiction, I didn’t “get around” to completing the series … yet …
- September: My precious granddaughter arrived at her first birthday, and her mommy, my youngest daughter, celebrated her 24th birthday.
- October: Our Desi pup celebrated her first birthday and my only son celebrated his 32nd birthday.
- November: My middle daughter and new son-in-law got married at a beautiful destination wedding in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Later in the month, my oldest daughter celebrated her 29th birthday.
- December: We had a Christmas week ice storm that knocked out power, internet, and phone services for nearly a week. Fortunately, weather had improved by the end of the week so we were able to travel to New Hampshire to gather with members of my family for a post-Christmas celebration.
Now, my goals for 2014:
- For this blog specifically: I want to blog daily and maintain consistent writing with UBC ideas and strategies; interact with readers and comment consistently; and implement suggestions as appropriate.
- For my education: I am in the dissertation phase of my Ed.D. program, currently in the “Comps” course, or comprehensive exams (four 10-15 page essays). Once I successfully pass this course, I will be at the “ABD” status (All But Dissertation), so I plan to continue moving toward that goal of earning my degree.
- For my freelance work: I want to focus more on instructional design and curriculum development, so I’ll continue seeking more opportunities in those areas, rather than random article writing.
- For my quilting business: I have new opportunities underway to open a new main site for my K-Lee’s Kreations business (instead of just Etsy and Bonanza) and to offer exclusive products through a new startup business called Purple Mountain Dreams. Looking forward to expanding this “kreative” business!
So what about you? What are your goals and plans for 2014? Are you participating in the UBC?