Can You Identify Your Dream Quenchers?
What are your dream quenchers? What is getting in the way of you reaching for your dreams?
It’s important, first, for us to identify our dreams. Then, to honestly evaluate what gets in our way of realizing those dreams, and finally determine a strategy to overcome the dream quenchers or barriers to help us move forward toward fulfilling our potential.
My Lifelong Learning Dream
First, one primary dream is to complete my Doctor of Education (EdD) program and officially become Dr. Banks! I am now within a couple months of realizing that dream, which has been a nearly 7-year journey. Obtaining that degree will open up new career opportunities and earning potential.
My Career and Entrepreneurial Dream
Next, I guess I should identify what some of my dreams are regarding my career goals in freelance consulting and my K-Lee’s Kreations business.
In my freelance consulting and writing:
* Continue to build up my portfolio of writing samples and educational materials.
* Continue to gain professional experience as an instructional designer, curriculum developer, and course/assessment writer.
* Continue to hone my niche writing areas and related skill sets.
* Gain enough confidence to raise my rates and define terms for work, rather than always accepting the terms that clients tell me.
* Continue to maintain writing in my two blogs consistently, to gain faithful readers and followers, and establish a good reputation in the blogging world. This includes monetizing my blogs, more consistently promoting my blogs on social media, commenting on other blogs, and replying to all of you who take the time to leave comments for me here! 🙂
In my K-Lee’s Kreations business:
* Consistently market my business, including promotion on social media.
* Create an inventory of ready-made items to complement my custom orders.
My Health and Fitness Dream
Another goal for me is to lose weight and get healthier. I have about 50 lbs. to lose, per my doctor’s recommendation. Some health issues and related medications, combined with my age and stage in life, all make this endeavor even more challenging. However, I’m “sick and tired of being sick and tired and overweight,” so I need to do this first for my own health and well-being. But I also want to be around longer for my hubby, my kids, and my grandkids. SO…my health and fitness journey is officially ON!
What is getting in the way of me
realizing these dreams and achieving these goals?
After some soul searching and honest introspection, I have to admit that two of my biggest weaknesses are poor time management and lack of self-confidence. These are compounded by some legitimate health issues, but the unfortunate results are distraction, brain fog, fatigue, inconsistency, lack of follow-through, and sometimes missed deadlines.
On particularly bad days, I really need an attitude adjustment, because I have a very difficult time finding the “want to” regarding doing the things I must do. There are days I would rather take a nap, read, sew, quilt, visit with family and friends, and socialize in my various online networks. Honestly, sometimes I just want to do *nothing* other than sit and relax, breathe, think, and reflect.
Now that I’ve identified my hindrances, bad habits, and flaws… I know I have some work to do! I’ve reached the point of being “tired of being tired” and not reaching the level of productivity I know I’m capable of accomplishing.
So what about YOU?
So there’s my confession! What about you?
Do you know what’s getting in the way of you reaching your dreams and achieving your goals? Do you dare to share?